TechECE

Ramblings of a directionless group...

Contributors
Our Personal Blogs
Subscribe to our feed

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, May 11, 2006
Love Story
"Machi look at her, look at that ravishing white churidhar...oh my...oh my...I'm going to propose today. I can't help falling in love." Pradeep was declaring to his team mates. They were heading to a resort. Team building activity. The entire division was there. Including the new Shwetha of IIIrd floor, in her mesmerizing white dress. He was wondering which team she had joined.

The team builders were in progress.
"Role play...." the compere was announcing.
"Two people will be randomly selected from the lots and they will have to take roles of..........LAILA MAJNU", she was at the top of her voice attempting to sound excited.
"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh" responded the crowd. At least some real fun, after the boring stick-the-paper, catch-the-ball games.
"From the boys, the Majnu is...", she was picking a random sheet from the pile.
"Pradeep...Ramanathan"
There were excited shouts by his team mates.
"C'mon Pradeep...."
"Shwetha... Shwetha" His team mates started chanting.
"Oh shit" Pradeep was embarassed. He started walking to the middle.
["Anyway I'll use this as a reason to talk with her. I'll start with an apology"], he brightened.
"....Pradeep's Laila is.....Shwetha Ravindran....Wow...some chemistry going on there folks" exclaimed the compere. The crowd went wild.
["Bull shit is going on"] Pradeep was almost crying. This was Shwetha of I floor.
["A Raven"], he was cursing his fortunes.
Shwetha came and stood next to him cheerfully. She gave a love-bug-has-stung-me look and a double meaning smile, which made him uneasy.
["Holy shit"]
"Hi"
"Hi", he told with a forced smile and turned other way.
"Your time starts...NOW"
He wondered why that lady was shouting so much for everything.
"Hi Laila. How are you?" he blabbered.
"Booo" shouted back the crowd. He was biting this nails and made sure his performance was the most unimpressive one. But the way shwetha smiled and her body language or something, drove him sick.
"Time up...."
["Shit...Shit...SHIT"] He walked back, nodding his head. His team mates were waiting to pounce on him.

It was tea break. All the team events were over. After this, the division head would give his customary speech and they'll be back, for heaven's sake. Time was moving very slowly for Pradeep. He longed to get away from this stupid resort. He felt Shwetha was watching him all the time after that role play.
["Is she still watching?"] He involuntarily looked towards her. She had also turned just then and there eyes met. Another double meaning smile.
["Shit Shit Shit"] Pradeep slammed the table.
"What happened man?" his manager placed his hands on his shoulder.
"Eh..Well...nothing...the tea was too hot and....I burnt my tongue".
"Pradeep is quiet abnormal after that role play. Wat say guys?" remarked the manager with a glee.
"Yes" "Waves" Everybody burst into laughter.
["They laugh for everything the manager says. Spineless fools"] Pradeep was smiling helplessly.

Next day. Pradeep was trying to focus on work.
["Oh, what a nightmare! At last everything ended up somehow. No more team events!"]
"Hi"
He lifted his head.
["Shwetha? What are you doing here?"]
"Hi"
"Would you accompany me for a coffee?" she was smiling.
["Why don't you smile normally at me? Why is this girl so stupid?"]
"Hello, stop dreaming", a mischievous smile again.
["Oh my god"]
"No... actually.... I already had my coffee." he blushed.
"Oh, is it so?"
["Look at her tone. Look at her tone. Damn."]
"Ah hem", the manager passed his cubicle creating that strange sound. He looked at Pradeep, winked and kept going.
["Damn you dumbo."]
"Hellooooo"
"Yea...Yea... I told you...coffee....May be some other time", words just slipped out of him.
["Oh man, why did I say that? why did I say that?"]
"Ok. I can also drink coffee alone.", she left, with a strange expression on her face.
["What is that? ...'oodal'....damn you...Why is this happening to me!"]

He left early that day. He was lying down and cursing everything that was happening. Karthik, his room mate entered.
"Hey dude.. Heard lot of stories! oh man... how romantic!"
["Ram is prompt in spreading these things. Damn.."] Pradeep was cursing his team mate.
"Look at my Majnu here, dreaming with his eyes open."
"Oh come on da... It's a tragedy. Leave it." Pradeep tried to cut it short.
But it didn't stop. Mahesh joined Karthik later and there were laughter all around.
"Will you guys please stop? I'm in real trouble man.....She behaves as if...as if we are lovers....she flirts...Damn her" he was grinding his teeth.
"I'm going to tell her, 'Stop flirting you stupid. I don't love you'"
"What if she proposes to you when you catch her alone?", that was Karthik with his glee.
"Please stop joking da"
"No man, I'm serious. What if she says, you may not love me but I'm dying for you" Karthik mimicked. He couldn't help his laughter.
"He's right." endorsed Mahesh.
"Try this da. Cook up some story. Tell her that you are in love with your cousin or someone. That'll put a full stop." Mahesh's unquestionable logic was in full form.
"uh....ok....may be I'll try that"
"Machi think twice before you do anything. Remember what thalaivar said, 'the girl who is after you is much better than the girl you go after.'" They exploded with laughter again.
["@#**@ Karthik, I'll make you pay for this."]
"Ok. Shall we go for dinner?"

Next day. Pradeep was restless. He thought she would come for coffee in the morning, but she didn't. In the afternoon, he decided to call her himself. He took the lift to first floor and searched for her cubicle. She was not there. He didn't know whom to ask. People started smiling and gossiping on seeing him there.
["Holy shit"]
He hurried back to the lift. The lift opened and she was inside it!
"Looking for me?"
["Oh don't smile like that. I get irritated and will thrash...."] Pradeep was getting psychic.
"Hello Sir. You day dream a lot."
["What? You..."]
"Actually they moved me to IIIrd floor from today. Sorry I didn't inform you."
"That's ok", he was about to tell. But suddenly felt it will not be the right response. He tried to act smart.
"Well, no. I didn't come here looking for you. I came for the Xerox machine." he smiled triumphantly.
"Oh is it?" A double meaning smile. "I know what you came for, man" she was appearing to say.
"Took the xerox?"
"Yes....Yes"
He suddenly realized, he carried no papers.
"Actually no. The machine was not working......and I left the forms in the machine itself."
["Thanks to all crazy Mohan movies."]
"There is no Xerox machine in this floor. It was also moved to IIIrd floor."
["oh shit. this is not your day Pradeep, not your day."]
"Okay. I came to call you for coffee. I keep my promises!" Pradeep decided to give up his Xerox story.
"Me too, came looking for you."
["Oh. Why do you speak in a child's tone? Madam I'm not your MAJNU"]
"You always look lost" a smile again.
["Oh no....not as you think"]
"Well...lets go."

He didn't speak anything after that. They sat on their table with coffee mugs. Both of them were silent. She was eagerly looking at him. He was cursing himself for not knowing where to start his story.
["Jai Kicha!"],he said his prayers to the God of lies.
He started, clearing his throat.
"Well, Shilpa...."
"What?" she smiled, appearing to say, "Oh come on man, I know you are hopelessly overacting."
"Oh sorry...Shwetha" he blushed.
["Don't overact Pradeep. put it straight, come on"]
"Dreaming again!" she told with that strange tone.
"Actually I wanted to clarify you on something. My team mates shouted your name before the event, just to tease me. I have nothing like that in my mind. I was afraid if you mistook it."
["C'mon Pradeep, good start, keep going."]
"and I..I...I don't know"
"What?"
"No No. I actually got engaged last month, with my girl friend."
"Oh" her face suddenly saddened and started showing contortions.
["Oh Oh don't cry don't cry...."] he was praying.
She recomposed herself.
"So, what is she doing?"
"Hmmm....she works in Bangalore."
"Where in Bangalore?"
["She asks empty questions. She wants to kill time. She feels like running away..Yes..There you go!"]
Pradeep was relieved and happy.
She tapped the table.
"Bangalore....oh...she, she works in Vidhan Soudha."
"In Vidhan Soudha?"
He noticed her face brightening.
["Oh no no...She knows Bangalore. Shouldn't get caught"]
"I meant she works near Vidhan Soudha. She works in a post office there." He was blabbering. A controlled blabber, as he felt.
"She still works there?". She was smiling, a different smile.
["What is that question...."]
"Of course.....of course, she plans to resign next month. Our marriage is 3 months away." Pradeep started congratulating himself.
["Turning out to be better than Kicha..Should pat myself."]
She started laughing and laughed and laughed...
["Oh my god..Oh my god...Why is she laughing?....Sarcasm???"]
"There....." she laughed again.
"There is no post office near Vidhan Soudha."
["Goddamn you man. You shouldn't have got too creative. But Karthik once told there is a post office there?"]
"They closed it a year back...and moved to another place. My brother works there. I know it very well." She continued laughing.
["Uh oh...Okay...Okay, no more lies or tricks. Tell everything openly...is that clear? Tell clealy that you don't love her... Even if she proposes, handle it...You are not afraid of anything."]
["Oh why did she stand up.."] She was still laughing.
"No...No...Hold on. Sit down. I wanted to talk."
"Sorry dear..."
["dear??? grrr.."]
"I have a meeting in 5 mins. Should go now. Can't spend all my time with you!"She smiled with pity and bent towards him.
He suddenly jerked back thinking she will kiss him.
She whispered, "I should be a house wife for that."
["What the hell...What the hell..."] Pradeep was almost crying.
She had left and was walking towards the lift.
"Hey Hey...sh...wetha" he shouted.
"I've also seen 'Vaali'" She laughed from distance.
["What? Oh no..."]
"Wait a minute....When does the meeting end?...I want to talk to you."
"Six. I should catch the shuttle then." She winked at him and got into the lift.
"Holy shit", he slammed the table.
Suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder.
"What's happening man?" His manager again.
"uh...Nothing...Just had coffee. I'm leaving." He almost ran from the cafeteria, nodding his head.
Suddenly Karthik's words, echoed in him.
["Oh no...No...Never...Not this girl..."]

PS:
==
1. This is not an entry for continue-the-story competition. But since most people who read this didn't understand the 'director's touch', you may continue.
2. For those who don't understand what "oodal" is, it is "feigned aversion coy", as per G.U.Pope :D.
posted by Sunil @ 1:59 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger kart said…

    Good one da. You could have given more role to the manager (name it Ramp?!) who is a dummy in your story?

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Iday said…

    Change the adjective prad.
    I guess this one suits better...

    DUMB pradeep ;)

    BTW Sunil - a diff flavor. Nice :)
    But even i feel the story is incomplete.

    Why - coz of these points i can list now:
    1. u have a story longer than a "short" story deserves
    2. u have a huge buildup with the happenings at the resort et al, the invitation from swetha for the coffee, the discussion b/w the guys - but it just ends all of a sudden. The hero (or the clown) still hasnt achieved anything!!!
    3. At the end of it - i get the feel that this is a good beginning for a 200 page Sweet Sweet novel :) Going the KAVYA way r u??!

    Nevertheless, the story has a very pleasant and will definitely bring on a smile on the face of the readers.

    Why dont u go the length and try to complete the Novel?!?! I'm damn serious. If u can sustain the same "feel" throughout the novel - it is winning material dude.

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Iday said…

    @prad - lead char or urself, my comment suits well ;) And why are ur trying to CYA so desperately!??

    @sunil - dont get sympathised by pradeeps continuous comments. Let the truth be as it is :)

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Blogger Sunil said…

    Actually the direcctor's touch that never gets noticed is at one point Karthik's words echo Pradeep's mind. Which means he starts to fall. Thats it. The 'sabalam' is the starting point of everything :).
    @Real Pradeep: It was not intentional to bring in your name. Though Karthik claimed it to be a sub-story, it was the truth.
    The Making ;D: I went to this DVD rental shop. I found a couple, a smart guy and interestingly not-a-match girl. When I overheard, they were calling each other Pradeep and Shwetha. Adhukku mela karpana kuthiraya thatti vittuten :)...Pradeepnu aarambicha vudane dhaan ella characterum namma pasangalaave podalaamnu decide panninen.

     
  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Sunil said…

    By the way, is there any proper english word for 'sabalam' and 'oodal'? 'feigned aversion coy' translates to 'chellamaana kovam' but it fails to specialize it as 'chellamana kovam in kaadhal'

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Blogroll
Archives
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers